delta3d
 Forum Index >  > delta3d Support New Topic Post Reply
 Adding shadows and other visual effects in Delta3D
Prev Topic Next Topic

Doppler
 11/01/2010 11:26AM (Read 980 times)  

Junior

Forum User

So I found this ShadowManager example on this forum earlier and I'm having the most difficult time getting it to work correctly. I've found that if I disable the IGEnivornment in my map I can get it to work, but then other parts of our code no longer function and a lot of errors are generated due to lack of an environment.

I'm guessing the sky dome or possibly the shader system of the environment is interfering, but it's difficult to know what exactly is causing it.

1. What would be the best way to go about getting shadows enabled? Do away with IGEnvironment and attempt to fix code to work without it? Or Keep IGEnvironment and work around it or modify it to be compatible with shadows?

2. In general, is it considered difficult to add new rendering effects such as shadows without modifying the Delta3D source code to support them?

Profile Email
ErikJohnson
 11/02/2010 11:16AM  

Forum User

Hi,

Yes, you're running into some known issues with Delta3D which require the user to manage the scene graph hierarchy.

In the beginning of Delta3D, the idea was to "hide" the details of the scene graph from the user. But with today's usage of OSG, the user needs to have better control over how the scene graph is constructed.

There is an open case as a placeholder to do something about this. And just recently, we've started talking about how to make this happen.

In the meantime, I'm afraid there's no real easy answer. It's do-able, but requires some knowledge of OSG, Delta3D, and how the shadow system works.

-Erik

Profile Email
energonQuest
 06/01/2017 08:12PM  

Forum User

bump. has this been resolved?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds New Topic Post Reply