Forum Index >  > SimCore Support New Topic Post Reply
 Simulation Core Tutorial - Hover Demo
First | Previous | 1 23| Next | Last
Prev Topic Next Topic

murphy
 06/06/2008 10:01PM (Read 25188 times)  

Forum User

Heya,

Just wanted to stop by to say that the folks at Alion have started work on a major new tutorial. For the past several years, there has been a Delta3D tutorial at the I/ITSEC Conference down in Orlando and we are planning to continue that tradition this year.

This year's topic will be the Simulation Core. For the tutorial, we will be creating 2 separate apps that use the Simulation Core. The first is a 'Driver Demo' that will let you drive a simple vehicle that is published over HLA and so forth. You can spawn multiple instances of them on the network and pull up a Stealth Viewer to see them all playing together. We know several groups that are already using the Simulation Core, so we wanted to provide this easy launch point for new people to get started on their own apps.

The 2nd app we have nicknamed, 'Sphero'. It's intended to be a full-blown multiplayer game that uses a whole bunch of stuff out of SimCore. The idea is to show off what's possible with Delta3D using Sim Core and demo it at I/ITSEC (in the tutorial and in the Delta3D booth). Mostly though, it's an excuse to create something fun .

Anyway, as we make progress, you will see probably see updates in the dtExtras repository under SimulationCore\demos\. I'll try to pop back in periodically and drop updates. Naturally, both apps will be developed as open source and contributed to the community. Once things are further along, you'll be free to check it out, give feedback, or even contribute... not yet though... patience grasshopper...

Curtiss.

PS - For an example of what has happened at past I/ITSEC's, here was a link for what happened at the 2006 I/ITSEC.

Curtiss Murphy Project Engineer -- Alion Science and Technology

Profile Email
alf
 06/11/2008 11:57AM  

Regular Poster

Forum User

Hi Murphy

This sounds great, would be nice with a basic introduction to the HLA stuf as its implementet in d3d / simcore.

I can see you have startet the large scale project already do you plan to finish thi before adding the lightweight example?

Brgs. Ralf

Ralf Stokholm Arenalogic

Profile Email Website
murphy
 06/12/2008 03:36PM  

Forum User

Heya,

The first app is getting close to being done. Below are some screen shots I've taken of the code that is checked in. In these images, you will see 2 vehicles, interacting together (via HLA). The one vehicle has shot the other and it's burning. You can also see them responding to date/time changes.

Small steps...

Whacky terrain!!!

Now we're interacting via HLA!

Ha! Burn baby burn! (yay for dynamic lighting)

Curtiss.

Profile Email
murphy
 06/20/2008 06:15PM  

Forum User

Heya,

Got a nice update. The version that is checked in now runs really well. Last week I stripped it down to the bare minimum to get it to work. Then, I started rebuilding it back up. I created a new Hover vehicle that uses dtAgeiaPhysX to fly. It hovers over the ground and applies an acceleration force in the direction your are facing.

The hover is created by applying forces to counter gravity. That stumped me for a bit ... At first, I couldn't get it to stabilize (it always over bounced... which led to sea sickness ... and vomit!). Brad suggested I do predictive corrections. That worked perfectly! Too perfectly in fact as it no longer felt like it was hovering anymore! Rock steady captain! Hah! But, after blending the predictive forces down a bit, it came out feeling really 'hovery'. ... Is that a word? I really like the feel of it; nice soft bounces ... then stabilizes.

Anyway, it's fun to play - uses ASWD (or arrow) keys to apply forces as you'd expect. The space bar will cause you to jump up - currently it's hacked so you can jump 3 times a second... My son wanted to make it fly... so, that's what I did .

From the pictures, you can see 2 of us fighting it out. The vehicle currently fires grenades. If you look closely you can see the dynamic lights playing on the terrain and vehicles. Got a couple shots where the smoke & flames follow down to the ground and bounce.

Initial Hit

Falling & Burning

Bouncing Baby Boy!

I'm pretty excited by where it is now. It's been a nice team effort here. Chris created these early models and artwork. David got all our data files in sync for release including the FOM and fed! Wooters! Brad is working on the force field effect, so hopefully, we'll have that early next week.

All this is still for the Driver Demo app for our I/ITSEC tutorial. I'm pretty stoked about this year's tutorial... hoping to make it more fun. It is a game engine after all! Anyway, once we have all this stabilized, we'll move on to the more complex mechanics in the second app - Sphero.

Enjoy,
Curtiss

Note - if you want to play with this, you will need your own RTI. Also, you need to drop a few .wave files in the sounds directory of Project Assets. You'll see which ones fail on startup. We have to work out a few kinks before we check ours in. Change the settings in the config_example.xml to point to your dir. Also, at the top of that, there's the Visual Studio settings to start the app.

Profile Email
murphy
 06/24/2008 05:47PM  

Forum User

Heya,

A quick update. Brad put in a nifty little force field effect on the hover vehicle today. It's checked into subversion and looks pretty decent. It'll be fun to do some neat stuff with this. For some technical info, he created a 3D texture in code and then pans through it in the fragment shader.

Originally, it used a pretty large 3D texture, 128x128x128 (2M I believe), but we got it down to 16x16x16 (4K) and it still looks really good.

Having fun ,
Curtiss

Profile Email
alf
 06/25/2008 08:01AM  

Regular Poster

Forum User

Demo looks really cool. Im getting the following errors when trying to run it on my system, it still runs though

PHP Formatted Code

Error: 09:50:49: <dtUtil::InternalLibraryHandle::LoadSharedLibrary:116> Unable to load library "DVTEd.dll":The specified module could not be found.
Error: 09:50:49: <dtDAL::MapContentHandler::endElement:1216> Error loading library DVTE version in the library manager. Exception message to follow.
Error: 09:50:49: <dtUtil::Exception::LogException:79> Exception Thrown: Unable to load actor registry DVTE File: .\librarymanager.cpp Line: 100 Type: Resource Error

PHP Formatted Code

Error: 09:50:50: <dtAgeiaPhysX::NxAgeiaPhysicsHelper::SetAgeiaUserData:321> You need to initialize the NxActor of object [Default] before you call SetAgeiaUserData.
Error: 09:50:50: <dtHLAGM::HLAComponent::JoinFederationExecution:481> Failed to set the RID file name to "RTI.rid" because the file is not found.

The last part is propably due to me using CERTI which im not sure uses a .rid file.

But the first i guess is due to the demo using some internal actor library that you cant release. That seams to be a shame :-)

Thanks for the great work

Ralf Stokholm Arenalogic

Profile Email Website
murphy
 06/25/2008 03:22PM  

Forum User

Heya,

Hahah. Good catch. Yeah, we have other libraries that provide GOTS features that are not available for everyone. I removed the reference to it in the map so that should go away now. There are a few other errors you probably get and can mostly ignore.

Did you try running 2 apps on the same box? You can shoot yourself and get a sense of how the app works.

Also, I'm very excited you got CERTI to work with it! WOOT! Our long term plan is to switch the demo over to use CERTI so we can release an out of the box working app with no need to get an external RTI. That must happen by the Nov/Dec demo. But, since you have it working now... WOOT!

Curtiss.

Profile Email
rapha
 06/25/2008 05:32PM  

Forum User

As you mention the CERTI, I can say a few words about it. My company (ONERA) developed it a few years ago, and there have been quite a few improvements during the last months. We have an internal project which uses both CERTI and Delta3D. To make it work, CERTI has been enhanced :
- some calls to the RTIambassasor can now be made from HLA callback (reentrant calls like getObjectClassName from the FederateAmbassador, ...). This was not possible but as dtHLAGM does it, it is now supported.
- CERTI now supports Windows and Linux federates in the same federation
- CERTI now supports asynchronous delivery
- CERTI also uses CMake for build.
These are the main improvements of the last few months.
So yes, it works !
As the Delta3D source is concerned, I just changed a call in dtHLAGM (the createFederationExecution call arguments).

Profile Email
murphy
 06/27/2008 04:29PM  

Forum User

Rapha,

I was wondering. With CERTI, do you need an RTI.rid type file? If so, what did you use to get the Driver Demo running? This is always one of our problems. We don't feel like we can release our RTI.rid file, so I'm not sure how to help other people get this running. That's another reason why we're very interested in following CERTI.

Curtiss.

Profile Email
murphy
 07/03/2008 02:17PM  

Forum User

Heya,

I added a little hover target to the driver demo. This gives you something to shoot at instead of just the walls. The cute little happy spheres fly around and attempt to 'hover' near a random point. You can shoot them and they interact with each other, the vehicle, and weapons - a direct grenade sends them flying. I gave it to my son and he gave the thumbs up. It's a lot more fun to have something to shoot .

There are a few bugs with it - namely, it's performance heavy and it isn't publishing over HLA at the moment. But, it's functional as hopefully, these images will show. It's kinda cool when you kill 'em and they fall out of the sky on fire and bounce. Kinda fun.

Falling and Burning

Lots of 'em

Oh. You can see the new texture Chris put on the walls. Much better than the big barney checkerboard. Thanks Chris.

Curtiss.

Profile Email
First | Previous | 1 23| Next | Last
Content generated in: 1.29 seconds New Topic Post Reply